Thursday, December 07, 2006

"And he shut the fuckin' door!!!"

So after about a five year layoff, I've started listening to Zappa again. It all has to do with the fact that the Zappa family just released a 40th anniversary edition of Frank's first album, Freak Out, called MOFO, which made me go back and listen to the 60-some Zappa CDs that I acquired when I was in high school. I guess I just listened to so much of the man's works during that time that I became burned out.

Well, time has given me a new perspective on the whole thing, and songs that had kinda lost meaning to me (because I listened to them about a million times) sound different and better. Maybe it's like when you haven't seen an old, annoying acquaintance in a while and you think that maybe they don't suck as much as they used to but then you talk to them and sure enough, they still suck, probably suck a lot more than they used to and before you know it you're back to wanting to kill them.

Naw, I don't think it's like that. I mean, Zappa isn't Scheller. (If you don't know who that is, don't worry. You're better off than we are.) I never thought Zappa sucked. I just... needed some time away.

Anyway, I've just been listening to the early stuff and haven't really gotten to the later "dirty" songs... we'll see how that stuff holds up to me.

What am I talking about? I still love titties and beer!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kent said...

I love the "dirty" song "Jumbo Go Away" from You Are What You Is, about a girl who goes in for liposuction and comes out with her legs amputated.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home